We provide services to various industries like Food Processing and Packaging, Package Converting and Printing, Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics, Chemicals, Automotive, Legal Professionals, and other Consumer & Industrial parts Packaging Industries.
Shankara R. Shetty (S.R. Shetty)
Phone: 912-638-5490, Cell: 407-460-2890
Food Processing and Packaging Consultant, member of IOPP Consultants Council, SPE Consultants Circle, Food and Beverage Industry Executive Advisory Panel Member with over 40 years of product, process, and package development experience. Developed several Patented packages, Saved millions of dollars in packaging and product distribution cost. Completed several new product and business development projects from concept to consumer. Developed several proprietary and award winning packages. Implemented several operational and quality improvement projects, saved millions of dollars by process optimization, material utilization, waste reduction, warehouse space reduction and automation in operation. Product experience includes: Snack Foods, Bakery Products, Beverages, Processed Meat and Seafood Products, Pharmaceuticals, Cosmetics, Frozen & Refrigerated Products, Food Service and warehouse club Product Packaging. Material experience includes: Paper, Film, Foil, Flexible Laminates, Paperboard Cartons, Metal, Glass, Plastics, Composite Containers, Corrugated and Solid Fiberboard Containers. Process experience includes: Form-Fill-Sealing, Thermoforming, Bagging, Strip Packaging, Blister Packaging, Microwave Packaging, Aseptic Packaging, VFFS, HFFS, VSP, CAP, MAP, Cartoning, Case Packaging, Freezing, Drying, Frying, Canning, Warehousing and Material Handling. Industries provided services to: Borden Foods, Drake Bakeries, Wise Foods, Old London Foods, Frito-Lay, Beatrice Foods, Berliner & Marx, Peter Eckrich & Sons, Swift-Eckrich, Rich SeaPak, Rich Products, International Paper, Kraft/Nabisco Foods, Life Tech., US Dunnage, Vision Child, Mazda, Ford Motors, Filtration Group, Indian Institute of Packaging, Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, Zandhu Pharmaceuticals, IDEX Health & Science, Cadbury Fry, Ponds India and others. Visiting Faculty to: teach Food Packaging to Food Engineering & Technology students at University of Mumbai (BUDCT), India. Recipient of prestigious Hind Rattan award from India. Providing Expert Witness Services on Packaging and Patent related issues.
- M.B.A., Business Administration, Bloomsburg University, PA, USA, (1978)
- M.Inst.Pkg., Packaging Technology, PIRA, Leatherhead, U.K., and Indian Institute of Packaging, India (1968/1971)
- M.Sc.Tech., Food Technology, BUDCT, University of Bombay, India. (1968)
- B.Sc. Tech., Food Technology, BUDCT, University of Bombay, India. (1966)
- B.Sc., Chemistry ‑ (major), Physics & Math ‑ (minor), University of Bombay, India. (1963).
Concept Management Company, St. Simons Island, GA (2002-Present) President & Consultant:
Providing technical consultancy services on:
- Consultant for package design & development.
- Expert witness in Patent Litigation.
- Trouble shooting in Packaging Issues.
- Consultant for Package Design and Development for Consumer, Industrial and Food Service Industries.
- Packaging Cost reduction by material substitution, process optimization, and arrangement analysis and improved packaging, handling, storage and distribution method.
- Testing and evaluation of packages.
- Consultant for packaging equipment selection and evaluation.
- Consultant for packaging systems development- form fill seal, thermoforming, MAP, Microwave.
- Consumer and shipping container design, development and evaluation.
- Shelf life studies, benchmark studies, package compatibility and extraction studies.
- Export package development & performance evaluation.
- Developing performance based packaging specifications and quality monitoring systems.
International Paper, Loveland, OH (1996-2002).
Product Development Manager, Sr. Research Scientist (Package Development Center)
- Worked as a technical resource to manufacturing and sales in resolving customer complains and problem solving.
- Conducted benchmark studies and developed action plans to improve competitive edge.
- Developed in-line package quality detection systems to improve productivity, quality and improve customer satisfaction.
- Packaging cost reduction by material substitution, arrangement analysis, improved Palletization, storage space utilization and improved truck loading methods.
- Developed several new packages and flexible laminates with active packaging for special packaging applications.
- Developed several patentable new products and process for consumer and industrial packaging.
- Developed Patentable retortable paperboard composite materials for special food packaging applications.
- Developed Patented new generation protective air bags for product protection during shipping.
Rich Seapak Corp. / Concept Management Co., St. Simons Island, GA (1988-1996)
Packaging Manager and Consultant
- Improved operational efficiency by developing operating and trouble shooting manuals and guidelines for packaging equipment operators. Conducted packaging equipment operator training programs.
- Saved millions of dollars in packaging cost by reducing waste, process and package optimization, unit and shipping container redesign to improve efficiency and performance.
- Reduced product distribution and transportation cost by package redesign.
- Improved sales by developing display shippers for warehouse club stores, super markets and chain stores.
- Improved market share by developing convenient, easy open and reclosable consumer packages for frozen, breaded and battered food products.
- New market developments by developing innovative thermoformed, filled and sealed packages for marinated shrimps, breaded and battered fish sticks, cheese sticks, onion rings, French toast and vegetables.
- Developed Patented microwave cook and serve package for frozen, breaded and battered shrimps. New business development.
Beatrice Foods, Chicago, IL (1983-88)
Research Scientist and Project Engineer (Swift-Eckrich)
- Supervised several cost reduction, quality and operational improvement projects for manufacturing, procurement, distribution, sales and marketing.
- Cost reduction by package standardization and variety reduction. Improved operational efficiency by automation and equipment modification.
- Reduced product distribution cost by improved warehouse and storage rack layouts, improved palletization, product distribution, handling and truck loading method.
- Improved customer satisfaction and reduced product return by leaker reduction in vacuum packed packages by material substitution and equipment modification.
- Developed proprietary multilayer coextruded films for thermoformed, filled and sealed sausage packages. Improved performance at reduced cost.
- Managed and supervised from start to finish a new luncheon meat packaging system with rigid, reclosable, thermoformed packaging, product loading and in-line labeling system.
- Improved market share for processed meat products, by developing easy open, reclosable, flexible vacuum packages and paperboard cartons.
- New market development for fresh and processed meat products by developing, Vacuum, MAP, thermoformed, filled and sealed packages with extended shelf life. Package development with proprietary scavengers, gas mixtures and antifogging lidding material.
Frito-Lay, Inc., Dallas, Texas, (1980-83)
National Manager of Packaging Quality Assurance,
- Developed and implemented supplier quality certification and quality auditing programs to reduce waste, product return and improve package performance.
- Monitored and controlled package change functions to meet operational performance, quality requirement, and meet regulatory compliance.
- Packaging and product distribution cost reduction by implementing returnable shipping container program.
- Developed UPC bar code specification and printing guidelines for flexible laminates, paper board cartons and corrugated shipping containers.
- Established national package testing and evaluation laboratory in company headquarters, Dallas. Supervised Equipment selection, evaluation and installation.
- Developed performance based packaging specifications and quality monitoring procedures to improve incoming material quality. Reduced material waste, product return and machine downtime.
- Developed and implemented incoming material quality grading and supplier evaluation system to improve quality and productivity.
- Improved customer satisfaction by implementing returned product and customer complains evaluation methods and implementing corrective action procedures.
Borden, Inc., Columbus, OH, (1975-80)
Packaging Specialist (Wise/Old London Foods), Pkg. & Prom. Coordinator (Drake Bakery)
- Developed consumer retail packages for Wise Potato Chips, Corn Chips, Extruded Snack Foods and Cookies.
- Developed and implemented shipping container standardization and shipping container returnable program to reduce shipping and distribution cost.
- Developed color and bar coding system to material tracking, sorting and monitoring the returnable shipping containers.
- Saved millions of dollars in packaging cost by material substitution, standardization and equipment performance improvement.
- Improved productivity reduced waste, minimized downtime by automation in packaging and equipment modification for Wise Foods, Old London and Drake Bakeries.
- Managed and supervised package and label change function to meet all functional requirements and regulatory compliance.
- Developed attractive and innovative displays and POP materials to promote new and existing products. Coordinated all product promotional functional activities.
- Improved Drake Bakeries snack food market share and brand image by improved package graphic and package structural design to improve machinability.
Indian Institute of Packaging, Bombay, India, (1968-75)
Assistant Director R&D, Officer-in-Charge of Southern Regional Office
Officer-in-charge of the Southern Region. Managed and supervised administration, budgeting, planning, training and consultancy services of the Indian Institute of Packaging. The Indian Institute of Packaging is a member of Asian Packaging Federation and World Packaging Organization, set up by the Govt. of India, under the Ministry of Commerce to provide technical consultancy services to Indian packaging industries. Provided technical consultancy services to Food, Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Cosmetic, Engineering and other consumer packaging industry. Conducted training programs in packaging for professionals and senior executives.
- Member of IOPP Consultants Council and SPE Consultants Circle
- Food and Beverage industry executive advisory panel member
- Advisory Panel Member, The Society of Industry Leaders
- Advisory Panel Member, The Council of Advisors
- Advisory Panel Member, Round Table Group
- Advisory Panel Member, Guidepoint Global
- Several research publications
- Papers presented in International seminars
- Patented and award winning package & Process developments
- Extensive training in Packaging, SPC, TQM, CAPE, Computer and Management training.
- Member of several professional organizations: IFT, IOPP, IMPI, AIIE, SPE, RIC, PI, IOC